Losing a tooth due to dental fractures, tooth decay, gum diseases or accidents is actually not a rare case. The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons has estimated that 70 percent of U.S. Citizens aged 35 to 44 years old actually had at least one missing tooth because of the aforementioned causes.
If you or someone you know needs to have a tooth or a set of teeth replaced, a dentist Lansdowne VA would typically recommend two main options — dentures and dental implants. While each takes pride in its own set of advantages, they also have their own downsides. If you can’t decide which procedure you’d choose, we’re here to lend you a helping hand! Read more to find out about the pros and cons of dentures and dental implants.
More popularly known as false teeth, dentures are a tooth replacement option that can be attached to your gums through a special adhesive.
* As they are affixed via a denture adhesive, this procedure doesn’t typically require any oral surgery.
* Subsequently, the recovery process for a denture procedure would be faster.
* Dentures are also more affordable because of the easiness of its attachment.
If you have a weak jaw, denture is the better option for you because implants can cause too much pressure.
* Even if you use the best adhesive, your dentures still have the chance of falling off.
Because dentures need to be removed before going to bed, their absence can weaken your jaw.
* The same remove-and-return process can also cause inconvenience, and increase the risk of your fragile dentures from getting broken.
They can also bring discomfort when eating and speaking, especially when they are poorly fitted.
* Apart from discomfort, unfit dentures can also promote decay and infection.
Eventually, you will need to have them relined and replaced, incurring you more dental health expenses in the future.
Getting more and more popular among patients nowadays are dental implants. Contrary to dentures, they are a tooth replacement option that can be permanently implanted to your gums.
* Compared with dentures, implants are the closer thing you can get if you want a more naturally-looking replacement.
* As they are embedded within your jawbone, they are not removable — ticking off your task of taking them out and soaking them on a daily basis.
* Subsequently, the risk of implants falling off (causing embarrassment) is almost (if not) zero.
* Cleaning implants are also much easier because you can just brush and floss them like your real teeth.
* The upfront costs for dental implants are way higher than dentures’.
* The requisite of the permanence it offers is an oral surgery that most patients are not comfortable with.
* The whole process of implanting the tooth replacement requires a number of steps and procedures. Apart from being costly, it can also cause you to have a longer recovery period.
Before saying to your dentist Lansdowne VA your ultimate choice, don’t forget to take into account several factors. These include your lifestyle, budget, and the very purpose why you’re getting a tooth replacement.
Find a family dentist Lansdowne VA you can trust at Riverside Dental. We provide a very friendly environment and truly care about our patients.